Swapping

>> Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The weekend before last I finally did a whole bunch of craiglisting and swapped all kinds of furniture. I sold two storage ottomans(men?) and threw in the cushions I'd made for the top because the person who came for them seemed to like them so much. I sold an IKEA bureau that just had camping gear - all that went into the shed. I sold a sideboard and a bedside table, also from IKEA, neither of which had a place to go anymore. And finally our very tall IKEA hutch. Oh, and my old camping backpack. I can't tell you how good it was to clear all those things out!!

Before: this corner of the kitchen used to be a workshop, with all the tools and supplies for the renovation.

Then we bought a new hutch in a vintage style I like so much better, and a glass door bookcase that now holds all my yarn and some spillover fabric. I'll probably post that later once it's sorted out. The new hutch is similar in style to our china cabinet that holds all my fabric, I would guess 1930s, which seems to be my favourite decade for design.It's nice little details like this handle that I like so much:Then we bought the new IKEA Fusion table and chair set, which luckily matches the hutch since the wood finish on the hutch is very nice and I wouldn't want to paint it. So now our kitchen nook is almost done!
The lamp on the table was a family yard sale find, there's a pair of them and I just need to find glass lampshades for them.

It's basically done, but someday we'd like to replace the sliding doors (that don't slide very well), the ceiling fan and the dusty old stucco on the ceiling. The Fusion set is great because the chairs curve around the table and it doesn't take up much room. I didn't care for the black seat covers, so I replaced those with a striped aqua and white fabric that I bought at the Textile Museum Yardage sale.
I was trying to pick a fabric then noticed this one matches the curtains perfectly, hurray!

Speaking of which, I can't tell you how much great stuff I found at the Yardage sale, but to paint a picture, I looked like a bag lady who lives on a bicycle on the way home. I had huge tote bags sort of wedged and tied to the baskets at the back. Most of it is in the new bookcase so you'll see it then...

13 comments:

sew nancy June 10, 2008  

I didn't know you could swap on craigslist
Maybe I should give this a try. I am in need of furniture and have some items I could part with

Claire Louise Milne June 10, 2008  

Really you buy and sell things separately, but in my mind it amounts to swapping.
It's really just like a classified ad, but online.
I recommend it!

Anonymous,  June 11, 2008  

ah craigslist. everywhere i look around me, i can see some great treasure i've found on craiglist... including a few great roommates who are now dear friends.

Claire Louise Milne June 11, 2008  

Such as your awesome cabinet/hutch thing filled with books in the workroom! what a find.

Anonymous,  June 11, 2008  

Love the hutch and I know it must be great to be finishing the kitchen. I am curious... is that a baby dress made into a clothespin holder?

Claire Louise Milne June 11, 2008  

It's a Cath Kidston clothespin bag, it is shaped like a little baby's smock or shirt. They were popular in the 30s/40s I believe.
Now that you mention it you could make one from a baby dress, just sew across the bottom!

Jacqueline Hudon-Verrelli June 12, 2008  

I really enjoy seeing how you've decorated and made your space your own. I love older, vintage furniture and accessories.

Anonymous,  June 27, 2008  

Pretty interieur, I like the Ikea table and chairs and thinking about buying them also.

all the best

Lisa July 17, 2008  

Love your decor aesthic - so lovely. I'm madly in love with that dining set from Ikea - so compact and clever and ... I don't know.. mid-century modernish maybe? *Sigh* my parner hates it though.

Hurrayic July 21, 2008  

Don't you love Ikea? That's a great table.

Anonymous,  August 04, 2008  

where did you get that fabulous fabric for your curtains?!?

Claire Louise Milne August 04, 2008  

It's from the workroom in Toronto:
http://www.theworkroom.ca/
It also comes in green (and maybe grey?). I would call ahead and check if they have it in stock.

J November 12, 2008  

I found your blog by searching for that curtain fabric on google. I was debating ordering the same fabric to make curtains for my living room and yours look so great that it convinced me!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP