Reading kitchen

>> Monday, January 21, 2008

I can't believe what we got done this weekend. Friday I painted the eat-in area and moved in a small white shelf that fit perfectly in the spot the hutch used to have. Having books beside the kitchen table has made it feel so homey, it invites tea drinking and reading. It's so sunny in that spot, we just needed our small table back in place to make it a popular corner of the house again.

If you look just beyond that you can see that all the lower cabinets are now assembled, thanks to Bradley who has recovered from his cold and was behaving like a superhero all weekend. The cabinets even have their feet on now.

And he shortened the closet doors so they're now all back in place. Phew! We kept knocking them over while moving things around. I also finally added the second coat of paint in the hallway. The walls had been a bit scuffed up from the flooring work as well.

Friday I added curtains to cover the sliding doors. As much as I like to make my own, ready made curtains can be a real bargain considering how much fabric they have. I found these at Urban Outfitters, they're nice and sheer and soft. They came with an extra strip of fabric each, I sewed buttonholes and buttons on those to make ties. The rod is from the new Umbra store on John St.
Although not kitchen related, I'd like to mention that we also finally assembled the shower for our clawfoot tub and I can't tell you how thrilled we were to be able to have a shower again.
I also managed to get one of the shelves up. I'd like to get more of the white wicker baskets from IKEA to go on the shelves. As you can see I've painted the Ocean Air on the walls.Realizing it was time to order our countertop we went to Home Depot on Sunday. I had been hemming and hawing for ages about that choice. It was hard to decide what would work with our flooring, cabinets, sink and walls, and what we should spend and which material would be most practical. As I've mentioned before we hadn't planned on gutting the kitchen in the first place so we've been making decisions as we go along. I wouldn't recommend this method but so far we're very happy with the results. So anyway we ordered a countertop but I'll save which one for the reveal!

But before they can measure for the countertop we need to wrap things up, which means installing baseboards (while we can move the cabinets and get back there), setting up the wiring for the new dishwasher, having the plumber over to set up the plumbing and finally attaching the lower cabinets in place. Usually you're supposed to install the uppers first but this won't be the first time we've done something backwards. I guess the main reason was to try to keep the kitchen liveable as we did the work.

These are the old uppers:
Until yesterday we were using these old upper cabinets for storage. But last night we finally emptied and took down the last of the old cabinets (well I moved some things but Bradley did the real work) and the wall now looks like this:
So cleaning, patching, sanding, priming and painting these last two walls is my job for today. Along with some illustration work in case you were wondering if I still have a job...

11 comments:

Anonymous,  January 21, 2008  

I wanted to say how much I am inspired and living vicariously through your re-modeling projects. I have hopes for my house but also have a 1 and 3 year old and 2 kids who are young teens and am homeschooling them. I suppose we could paint and do some of the projects as home-ec but I have to get the energy to start them!

Cathy T

Anonymous,  January 21, 2008  

With our cupboards all exposed and cramped in the photo, I feel like Waldo should be hiding somewhere with his striped toque sticking out.

If anyone wants to play Where's Waldo, in the zoomed-in version I can see a Nalgene bottle, Redbird matches, half a bag of oats, pyramid teas, Glenmorangie scotch, and vanilla extract.

Claire Louise Milne January 21, 2008  

Thank you for the comment Cathy, it's nice to hear someone's enjoying my house posts. I have to say that we're trying to keep the kitchen livable but I wouldn't call it child-proof...there's nails and tools and things everywhere!

Junie Moon January 21, 2008  

All your hard work is paying off as everything looks sparkly and wonderful.

It will be fun to see what you do for countertops. We need to replace ours and I'm quite overwhelmed by the choices (as well as the prices).

Anonymous,  January 21, 2008  

It's lovely to see how far your home has come. And to know that you are doing it on your own is wonderful. I was looking at some of your older posts to find out what the kitchen looked like before and stumbled upon the blue sewing desk and chair. You mention you got the fabric at Fabricland. I'm knew to the sewing world and was wondering where you go to buy your fabric, I live in Ajax.

Claire Louise Milne January 22, 2008  

I buy fabric everywhere, but a great place to start is the fabric district on Queen W, starting at Spadina and heading west. There are many many fabric stores with a wide range of prices and specialities. It's probably worth a drive to Toronto, but that's up to you!

Claire Louise Milne January 22, 2008  

Thank you for the comment Junie Moon! Choosing a countertop is difficult, we went with a Corian, which is a bit on the expensive side but haven't regretted our decision since we just couldn't get excited about the laminate choices. I think a good quality one will last and make the whole kitchen look better. Another tip: take your paint swatch and a cabinet door with you if you can, it really helps when choosing the colour.

Junie Moon January 22, 2008  

I really appreciate your added note about countertop choices. I'm going to follow your excellent advice. Taking a paint swatch and a cabinet door is a great idea!

elisabetha January 23, 2008  

whew~ that's hard work! i hope you had a large pot of coffee after all that. your shower area is adorable.

macati January 23, 2008  

oh! and I thought that you were an interior decorator! hehehehe! great work!

ambyrae,  October 18, 2010  

I just stumbled across your blog (great projects!) and I was wondering where you got the shower kit for your clawfoot tub? We're renovating and just got a beautiful old tub, but are clueless about the fixtures.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP