New York ribbons

>> Thursday, May 31, 2007

I feel I've been neglecting my needle book posts..so I'm going to try to catch up a bit. We've had a busy time recently, mainly because we just bought our first house! We didn't think we could afford one in Toronto, and were planning to just buy a slightly bigger condo, but after not really seeing anything we liked, we extended our search a bit and found a little house just at the edge of our budget. I keep telling people that it's very small (it's a 1-bedroom bungalow), because I don't want people to see it and be disappointed. I have to admit that my first reaction on seeing the house was to laugh, because it looked so tiny. But while it also needs redecorating throughout, it definitely has potential to be a really lovely little home. We'll be moving in at the end of July and I'll be sure to share our decorating pictures then.

We also had a trip to New York city recently, and stayed with a friend in Hoboken. Lucky for me he had already found the "ribbon district" and had lots of great shopping tips. The ribbons at the top of this post are all from M&J Trimming (1008 Sixth Ave.), a store that will dazzle the ribbon lover, but also has buttons, lace, purse handles etc. All my favourite ribbons were from the front of the store, in a section devoted to embroidered ribbons, with many fancy ribbons imported from Europe as well.
To balance out this splurge, I also found these lovely ribbons (above) at the Textile Museum sale last week, the place where I like to stock up on crafts supplies for the coming year. The one on the bottom is my favourite - many thanks to my friend Sarah who found it first but let me have it!

Around the corner from M&J Trimming are more ribbon, button and bead stores, including the Martha Stewart recommend Tinsel Trading (Tinsel Trading 47 West 38th Street New York), and a similar store I discovered called Store Across the Street (Store Across the Street 64 West 38th Street New York). And if you're in that neighbourhood, I recommend the beautiful Bryant Park nearby as the perfect place to have a drink and sit down and look over your new ribbons. There are lots of little iron table and chair sets for anyone to use.We also went to a couple of flea markets. At the first outdoor parking lot (junky type) flea market I found a beautiful antique compact for $5 and a Noel Streatfeild book I hadn't heard of (New Shoes) for $1. It was across from an expensive looking indoor antique mall which we didn't visit (too much to do, too little time!) The second flea market was a few streets over in a parking garage. We could have spent hours in there but were getting a little tired and hungry.And speaking of ribbons, I picked up these bargains at Kate's Paperie on Broadway in Soho which was having a moving sale. This was also near to my other favourite stores, Pearl River Trading, Anthropologie and Kate Spade.And last but not least, my catch up wouldn't be complete without finally sharing the adorable little rabbit made for me by the lovely and talented Susan!

14 comments:

Anonymous,  May 31, 2007  

Ohhh, I loved Noel Streatfeild when I was little. Ballet Shoes and Dancing Shoes were two of my best loved books. You're the only person I've ever come across who even knows who he is.

One of the other splendid things about Bryant Park is the free WiFi, by the way.

Claire Louise Milne May 31, 2007  

Thanks Kim! From one of the reviews of Streatfeild's books on the back of the dustjacket I discovered the not very surprising fact that Noel Streatfeild is actually a woman:
http://www.whitegauntlet.com.au/noelstreatfeild/

Anonymous,  May 31, 2007  

Congrats on your new house!! Can't wait to see the pictures!

Looks like you had a fabulous trip to NY. I got a little excited and exclaimed "I've been there, I've been there!" when I saw the photo of Bryant Park. Claire - I need to get out more.

Mom2fur May 31, 2007  

I haven't been to NYC in years, but looking at your great collection of ribbons almost makes me want to hop on the Long Island Rail Road and take a trip!
Congratulations on your new home. My mil would call a small place like that, when it was beautifully and lovingly kept, a 'doll house.' May you have many happy years in your own little 'doll house'!

sew nancy May 31, 2007  

congrats on the house but, can i say i am totally freaking out here. i live in hoboken, nj and had i known i would have loved to meet you for a coffee/tea and a chat. i shelled out about $100 on trims the last time i was at m &j (wrote about it on my blog last month) and i adore tinsel trading and what's not to like about pearl river. sounds like you had great trip. did you go on the carousel while at bryant park? i adore carousel rides.
again congrats on your little house no matter how tiny it is.
xo

Natasha May 31, 2007  

what wonderful ribbon finds, what a fun post to happen across!!

Lucie June 01, 2007  

Your new house sounds wonderful and I know you will enjoy fixing it into a home and garden to delight the senses.
It has been a long time since I went to NY, so I enjoyed visiting through your trip.

Those trims are so full of character and charm.

Shirley June 01, 2007  

Congratulations on the new house. I'd like to see before and after decorating pictures.

I haven't read Noel Streatfeild but I remembered the name from the movie 'You've Got Mail'.

Anonymous,  June 02, 2007  

I've just came back (4 days ago) from Berlin ;-)

Anonymous,  June 02, 2007  

Noel Streatfeild is actually a woman

You know, I think I knew that when I was a kid, but forgot.

I should have said in my last comment, but didn't in the excitement of thinking about Ballet Shoes and Dancing Shoes, congratulations on your new house!

Berlinswhimsy June 08, 2007  

Those ribbons are beautiful!

Anonymous,  June 09, 2007  

We have the same taste in ribbons: I also picked a couple of the same ones on my last trip to M+J. What are the odds amongst allllll those ribbons?

sara June 10, 2007  

oh what I fine post, the ribbons and the little pig oh:)

Anonymous,  June 05, 2008  

So good to hear about your NY trip....You MUST visit the store...MOKUBA. It's on 39th off of 6th Avenue in NYC. The finest ribbons in the WORLD. Imported from Japan. The store is gorgeous. You will love this place!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP