Pouches and painting

>> Thursday, January 18, 2007

I've finally learned how to make zipper pouches! I found a tutorial online that showed me how. While googling to find the link to show you, I found this even better one! I've been wanted to learn how for ages and kept putting it off. I use pouches all the time, my odds and ends are organized all over the place in pouches. (if you look in the background you can see Bradley's maps - he's just discovered geocaching!)

You may recognize the fabric for this one, it's from the apron I just showed you. I couldn't wait to make something with that fabric. I interfaced it because although it was in quite good condition it wasn't very sturdy. I made two, one for me, and one for my shop.Incidentally I have an etsy tip. If you want to buy something from etsy you make an account for yourself with your email address. It's free and easy, and I did it myself the first time I made an etsy purchase. But if you decide later on you want to open up your own shop (also free and easy) you cannot change your name. That's why my name on etsy isn't needle book, which I would have preferred. Not everyone wants to open up a shop but just in case I thought I'd mention that.

Here's another one of my pouches:
And another - believe me I'll be making lots!And last but not least I had another project this week - painting a little wooden desk for my niece. I painted the main part pale yellow which matched the other furniture in her room. Then added these flowers in white, pale pink and red:
She's just turned five and now she's in school and ready for a desk! Happy birthday Haleigh!

I forgot to add the book info which I was asked for. You can buy these books online, I got mine at Chapters/Indigo.

The Apron Book
Hardcover: 152 pages
Publisher: Andrews McMeel Publishing; Bk&Acces edition (Sep 1 2006)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0740761811
ISBN-13: 978-074076181
2

Simple Sewing With a French Twist
Paperback: 255 pages
Publisher: Potter Craft (Jan 2 2007)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0307351823
ISBN-13: 978-0307351821


One skein
Paperback: 128 pages
Publisher: Interweave Press; 1 edition (April 1 2006)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1931499748
ISBN-13: 978-1931499743

In stitches
Spiral-bound: 176 pages
Publisher: Chronicle Books; 1 edition (Jul 26 2006)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0811851591
ISBN-13: 978-0811851596

13 comments:

Jenny L. January 18, 2007  

That desk is adorable! Thanks for the tutorial link for the pouches. you are really inspiring me to sew.

Pieces January 18, 2007  

Thanks for the tutorial link. Your pouches are beautiful--as is the desk.

Anonymous,  January 18, 2007  

I am so jealous of Haleigh's desk. And the pouches are so cute!

Junie Moon January 18, 2007  

I love all your projects! I've just discovered pouches, too, and have been having a blast. If you sit still long enough at my house (or in the immediate vicinity of my neighborhood), you'll get "pouched," "grommeted" (just discovered grommets from the In Stitching book (Document Duvet) or even knitted up into a scarf--I just can't quit making all these projects.

Anne Margaret January 18, 2007  

What a lucky niece you have!

I'm laughing out loud about the zipper bags. When I took home ec (maybe 1983-4?) it was the project the teacher used to show us how to install zippers. I thought "what will I ever do with this thing? only old ladies carry cosmetic bags!" Now that they're "in", I'm glad I remember how to install a zipper!

Wouldn't you love to go back and take the fun classes you could really use now, like home ec and shop?

Anonymous,  January 19, 2007  

Your pouches are great! I love making zipper pouches, there's a tutorial on Craftster that I love.

And thanks for the details on the books ;)

Angel Jem January 19, 2007  

I love the desk. I have something like that in mind for my 5 year old, but no joy yet. Pouches and bags are my downfall- my purse is full of everything separated out into pouches. Have fun crafting!

Anonymous,  January 20, 2007  

Love the pouches! I have been figuring out in my head how to make one but will go easy on myself and look at the link you gave. LOL!
The desk is adorable.

I am thinking seriously on getting an Etsy shop...I thought it had a fee though.
I have my own website but it is invisible and Etsy is already known to so many people.

Anonymous,  January 22, 2007  

Oh, I love the sweet desk for Haleigh! You did a beautiful job with it.

Anonymous,  March 14, 2007  

cool pouches! where do you get your tags made?

Claire Louise Milne March 14, 2007  

I actually just made these ones myself with twill tape and iron on paper. I printed them at home. It's quite easy - but when I use them all up I'm going to get some real ones made. There are places online that will do it. If I do, I'll post it and add the link.
thanks!

Inanna March 15, 2007  

I love the pouches:I love any fabric with orange flowers on it. And that desk! Wow! Gorgeous!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP