Painted bead box

>> Wednesday, January 31, 2007

This is a recent project and I was thinking of sharing a "how to" for it. But partway through the project I got really vexed with it so I'm not sure I'd recommend it. It's quite fiddly and fairly messy. On the other hand now that it's done I really love it, so maybe it's worth it after all.

I forgot to take a "before" picture, but it's basically a Bombay Company box made of rosewood and lined with a yucky black velveteen fabric. I found it at Goodwill for $4.99. I've never really liked it.

First of all I ripped out the old lining, and lightly sanded the box and then primed it. The outside is painted with latex paint leftover from the house painting I've been doing.

I wanted to line the box with fabric, so I glued it to paper using PVA glue, which you can find at art supply stores. Doing this makes the fabric easier to work with when you want to attach it to something else - a helpful technique for covering books as well. I paint the paper with glue then smooth the fabric over it.

Then I glued the fabric into the box. There are two pieces of wood that support the tray, so I covered those separately and then glued them in place. I used the old lining as a template to get the size just right, otherwise you need to do some careful measuring.

The picture at the top of this post shows the finished box before I added dividers in the tray. Some of them broke (there was wood inside the fabric) when I removed the old lining, but I didn't want all of them anyway. I added extra glue around the edges to secure the dividers in place. They need to be quite secure if you want to use the dividers to hold onto when lifting out the tray.

And this is the finished box. I put the supplies for my recent jewellery making inside so it's nice to have that organized. Redoing this box was a lot of work in the end, but I love it now!

10 comments:

Anonymous,  February 01, 2007  

oooo what a pretty little box. you did a great job making it pretty.

Belinda February 01, 2007  

It looks fabulous...definitely worth all the work, I say.

Anonymous,  February 01, 2007  

This is fantastic, you have really done a wonderful job.(I just love the blue flowers) and you make it look easy!

Anonymous,  February 02, 2007  

so pretty!

Anonymous,  February 03, 2007  

I love it! You've made it so beautiful!

Jannie aka Chickengirl February 03, 2007  

Great tutorial. I picked up a few tips. Thank you.

Anonymous,  February 11, 2007  

it looks great. and you made it look really really easy (despite what you said about the fussiness of the project!)

Rascallion February 15, 2007  

This is lovely! Great job.

Anonymous,  February 15, 2007  

I love what you've done with it, and the nice fresh blue. How are you by the way? I havent talked to you in a long time!

Hurrayic February 19, 2007  

What a neat idea. I love to treasure hunt at Goodwill, but sometimes it's hard to see beyond the as-is item and think of it in its more beautiful state. The pva glue tip is good too. Thanks.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP