Knitting Olympics - almost done!

>> Friday, February 24, 2006

Well I didn't really expect woodworking to become part of my Olympics Knitting project, but it seems this is the case. I've now sanded, stained three times, and varnished the handles. I needed to lightly sand and varnish again today. It has a slight varnish smell which I don't care for but hopefully that will quickly fade. I'm also wondering how long it will take before the handles feel nice and smooth and not like they've been varnished the day before.

I haven't attached the flaps at the top yet, I just folded one flap quickly through one of the slots to show how it will work. The sides get sewn too so that they are tucked in. But I'm not sure I like it because then the bag doesn't open up as much. So I have to think about that and also how I will line it. I was planning to maybe use the fabric I keep photographing it on, but I was hoping to find something I like better in the meantime. I kept picturing more purple, such as a purple floral pattern on a purple background. In any case, I'm very happy with how it turned out, I didn't really worry too much about the gauge, but somehow it turned out exactly right, even including the size of the wooden handles and slot inside them (I guess those are a standard size).

Thanks to the retroknits person who posted the pattern but isn't there anymore for the beautiful pattern, and thanks to Yarn Harlot for the great Knitting Olympics idea!

8 comments:

Anonymous,  February 24, 2006  

You are a machine. I can't believe you're almost done!

Ms. Ly February 24, 2006  

Wow! It looks great! And the handles turned out well! Gold Medal for Claire! Seeing your finished product really makes me want to start on the pattern!!!
p.s. You've inspired me to start my own blog!!!

Claire Louise Milne February 24, 2006  

wow, I inspired someone to start a blog - it looks great! have fun with your first swap!

Anonymous,  February 25, 2006  

your bag is stuning !
love the color and the handles.

next tuesday I plan to go to the Japanese paper place and I'm gonna search for the shop you've mentionned earlier (where you get your lovely little pouch)

I've made a belt, thanks again for the tutorial ;o)

I have a quick question for you : do you take commission for a needlebook ?

Julie February 25, 2006  

beautiful bag and beautiful work on the handles.

why don't you just knit up a couple of sides (narrow or wide) for the bag to help it open a bit more? maybe in a rib stitch so it's a little elastic.

Claire Louise Milne February 25, 2006  

thanks for such nice comments!
karen: I would love to take a needle book commission! you could just email me at clairelmilne@hotmail.com.

Claire Louise Milne February 25, 2006  

julie: it's not a great picture to show this, but it's actually knitted in the round, and the sides are in sock heel stitch which is similar to a rib. It's very open right now, like a box, but the pattern suggests stitching the sides together at the top, so that it doesn't open up so much anymore. I'll show a better photograph for it once it's completely finished - by Sunday of course!

Anonymous,  February 26, 2006  

Gold medal to Claire!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP