Sideways garter stitch scarf

>> Wednesday, December 14, 2005

I made this for a friend to give to his mum. This is a really fun scarf to make. You just cast on the number of stitches to make the scarf as long as you want it. I used a chunky yarn, so with 180 stitches it was 60 inches wide, or long, if you know what I mean. I used my circular needles as straight flexible needles, so that they were long enough to hold all the stitches. Then it's all knit, with alternating colours. I decided to switch colours every second row, to make lots of skinny stripes. The colours are purple, pinks and dark chocolate brown.

The good thing about this scarf is you can make it the length you want it to be, then keep going until you run out of yarn. Ie. you don't have to guess in advance how wide you can make it in order not to run out of yarn while it's still too short.

Also, I got around to making little "needle book" labels to sew onto the things I'm making. I like how they turned out, pretty cute!

p.s. I made this with Lamb's Pride Bulky wool (85% Wool/15% Mohair), and I used the recommended 10 1/2 size needles. The gauge is 3 stitches per inch in case you'd like to substitute another type of wool. But of course you can make this scarf any size you like!

p.p.s. Bradley has almost finished the 2nd mitten!

5 comments:

Anonymous,  December 14, 2005  

A lengthwise scarf would go great with a pair of lengthwise mittens. If only you had a wonderful boyfriend who devised a pattern for such things ...

The label looks adorable and I'm looking forward to making my Chicago Bears scarf (with the orange and blue Jo Sharp) in a sideways/lengthwise manner. But first, I must finish the second mitten.

Anonymous,  December 14, 2005  

I think I just happened upon my winter break project, this scarf is wonderful! Thanks for the instructions!

Claire Louise Milne December 14, 2005  

Hurray! Someone is making one of my projects. Please let me know when you're done, I'd love to see it.

Tania Ho December 15, 2005  

This looks lovely, I think I'm going to knit one too :-)

Belinda May 29, 2006  

Claire, I've had your scarf booked marked for a while. Now it's started to get a little colder down here in Sydney. I was thinking of knitting this one up, I loved the colours you used. Was it aubergine?? for the purple with the victorian pink and chocolate souffle..

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP